Not a passive state. It’s very active, yet calm.
A form of concentration
A practice of stilling the restless thoughts (not reacting to thoughts if they come up)
TIPS FOR MEDITATION
1. To help break a lifelong habit of restlessness, try simplifying your life outwardly and tune in.
2. The essential attitude for correct meditation is one of listening. The mind must be kept receptive.
3. Meditation is the opposite of imposing your will on the world.
4. To meditate, will power is necessary, but the will should be used to deepen your enjoyment of relaxation.
5. Without relaxation — of mind as well as of body — you won’t be able to concentrate deeply.
6. The more deeply conscious and receptive you become, the deeper and more satisfying your meditations.
7. The more you can hold your concentration at the point between the eyebrows, the sooner superconscious experiences will come to you.
8. Gaze deeply into, and behind, the darkness you behold at the point between the eyebrows when your eyes are closed.
9. Listen! —not with the ear only, but with your entire being. Feel yourself in sympathetic resonance with the vibrations of inner silence.
10. Visualize your heart’s feelings rising upward in devotion toward the spiritual eye, the point between the eyebrows — the gateway to Infinity.